NP-Part Time in Buckhorn
October 9th, 2018
Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
The Nurse Practitioner is a Registered Nurse in the Extended Class who uses advanced nursing knowledge and skill to provide optimal care to patients. The Nurse Practitioner promotes judicious use of resources by using good clinical judgment when ordering medications and diagnostic tests, monitoring length of stay, facilitating discharge planning and participating in ongoing quality improvement initiatives.
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) will practice within his/her full scope of practice as outlined by the College of Nurses of Ontario.
This is an exciting new opportunity in a well-established cottage country practice, located in the town of Buckhorn on the Trent-Severn Waterway, just 30 minutes north of Peterborough.
The position is permanent part-time, beginning with 2 days a week (15 hours, with flexible scheduling and vacation). With the right practitioner in the role, it would be possible to grow the practice with commensurate growth in hours.
For the right candidate, a revenue sharing model would be considered, so that the rewards of growing the practice would be shared. Initial remuneration will be based on experience, with an additional 13.5 % in lieu of benefits/pension. Some compensation for travel will be considered.
The ideal candidate would be comfortable managing a practice with a high degree of independence, with physician backup always available in person or by phone. The vision is of a collaborative model, with physician and NP sharing in decisions around managing and growing the practice.
Including, but not limited to:
- Practice to the Full Scope of a Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner
- Follows Best Practice Guidelines in order to provide optimal patient care
- Complete health assessments including health history and physical examinations
- Provide wellness care and health screening
- Have an openness to learning about and from patients who identify as Transgender/Gender Non Conforming/Non Binary and their allies and a commitment to providing a welcoming and safe environment for them
- Diagnose and treat minor illnesses and injuries
- Screen for and treat chronic illness and monitor stable chronic illnesses
- Care of episodic illness
- Determine the need for, and order and interpret reports of X-Rays, ECG’s and diagnostic ultrasound.
- Monitor the ongoing therapy of clients with chronic stable illnesses by providing pharmacological and counseling interventions.
- Determine the need for, and the implementation of health promotion and prevention strategies for families and individuals.
- Use nursing strategies based on evidence based information.
- Formulate and communicate medical diagnosis or disorder.
- Consult with a physician in accordance with the standards for physician consultation.
- Prescribe drugs
- Gather and document statistical information as required
- Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Controlled Substances Certification
- Current CPR course
Education and Experience:
- Successful completion of a Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner education program
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario in the Extended Class-Primary Health Care
- Control Substance Certification required
- Experience working to full scope as a Primary Health care NP
- Experience in an acute/urgent care and/or emergency practice setting an asset
- Experience working independently with off-site collaborating physician an asset
- Additional training, courses and experience considered an asset ie. Diabetes certification or training; advanced hypertension management
Skills and Abilities
- Proficient in a current word processing program
- Leadership, critical thinking, organizational and communication skills are required
- Have expertise in developing and maintaining excellent working relationships with a broad range of individuals and partner organizations
- Work in a collaborative practice model
- Good physical and mental health to meet the demands of the position
- Must possess a dependable, consistent and reliable work record including attendance at work
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, by October 26, 2018 to email@example.com.
We are actively committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. We offer accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process or require an accessible version of a document/publication, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.