Part-time Primary Care NP Locum
May 3rd, 2019
LOCUM NP Required Mondays and Wednesdays plus flex hours (approximately 16-20 hours per week.)
This position is located at the Brookdale Family Clinic in Peterborough. This position has full administrative support, plus the benefit of Family Health Team allied health support.
Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
The Nurse Practitioner is a Registered Nurse in the Extended Class who uses advanced nursing knowledge and skill to provide optimal care to patients. The Nurse Practitioner promotes judicious use of resources by using good clinical judgment when ordering medications and diagnostic tests, managing chronic and acute conditions and communicating with patients and colleagues.
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) will practice within his/her full scope of practice as outlined by the College of Nurses of Ontario. This is a 16-20 hours per week.
Including, but not limited to:
- Practice to the Full Scope of a Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner
- Follows Best Practice Guidelines in order to provide optimal patient care
- Complete health assessments including health history and physical examinations
- Provide wellness care and health screening
- Have an openness to learning about and from patients who identify as Transgender/Gender Non Conforming/Non Binary and their allies and a commitment to providing a welcoming and safe environment for them
- Diagnose and treat minor illnesses and injuries
- Screen for and treat chronic illness and monitor stable chronic illnesses
- Care of episodic illness
- Determine the need for, and order and interpret reports of Blood work, X-Rays, ECG’s and diagnostic ultrasound.
- Monitor the ongoing therapy of clients with chronic illnesses by providing pharmacological and counseling interventions.
- Determine the need for, and the implementation of health promotion and prevention strategies for families and individuals.
- Use nursing strategies based on evidence based information.
- Formulate and communicate medical diagnosis or disorder.
- Consult with a physician in accordance with the standards for physician consultation.
- Prescribe drugs as allowed in NP scope of practice
- Gather and document statistical information as required
- Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Controlled Substances Certification
- Current CPR course
Education and Experience:
- Successful completion of a Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner education program
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario in the Extended Class-Primary Health Care
- Control Substance Certification required
- Minimum 2 years experience working to full scope as a Primary Health care NP
- Experience working independently
- Additional training, courses and experience considered an asset ie. IUD insertion; Diabetes certification or training; CBT training; advanced hypertension management
Skills and Abilities
- Comfortable building a comprehensive EMR database and care plan for a patient and then transitioning that care to a physician when one becomes available
- Proficient in a current word processing program
- Leadership, critical thinking, organizational and communication skills are required
- Have expertise in developing and maintaining excellent working relationships with a broad range of individuals and partner organizations
- Work in a collaborative practice model
- Good physical and mental health to meet the demands of the position
- Must possess a dependable, consistent and reliable work record including attendance at work
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, by May 31, 2019 to email@example.com. For more information, please e-mail or call Carol 705-743-8029.
The Greater Peterborough Family Health Organization is actively committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. We offer accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process or require an accessible version of a document/publication, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.