Need a Local Family Doctor? Get On The List!
January 22nd, 2019
Peterborough Family Health Team (PFHT) is committed to closing gaps found in our local health care system. Recently, a new process was created to fix an ongoing problem: finding a local family doctor. With the development of this new local wait list residents without a family doctor, or whose family doctor is located outside of Peterborough County, can now be placed on this list allowing PFHT to make the connection once a new family doctor has joined the community.
The approximate 6,500 residents without a local health care provider, such as a family doctor or nurse practitioner, are being asked to complete a brief form which places them on the list. The form can be found by visiting www.peterboroughfht.com/need-a-doctor.
Residents who do not have access to the Internet can call one of the following clinics, based on where they live:
- Residents of Peterborough City, please call the Peterborough Virtual Care Clinic at 705-536-0882.
- Residents living in Peterborough County, please call the PFHT Clinic at 705-651-4866.
This process has been in place for approximate five months, yet the numbers on the list don’t add up to the approximate number of residents still seeking a doctor. PFHT worries there may be confusion between the provincial “Health Care Connect” list and this local list.
“Being connected to a health care provider is so important to our health,” explains Lori Richey, executive director with Peterborough Family Health Team. “For years we’ve strived to recruit new physicians to our great community, yet we continue to have thousands of people without a family doctor. When taking a step back to see the bigger picture, we noticed a pattern. Many new doctors prefer taking over a retiring doctor’s practice. If new doctors are looking for an established roster of patients, then we will give it to them.”
Those who are on the wait list for a new family doctor and require care are able to access the Peterborough Virtual Care Clinic and PFHT Clinic. These clinics will provide patients with comprehensive care and create a medical record to give to their new family doctor once connected.
“If you feel that you’re a fairly healthy person and don’t have a need for a family doctor, you’re wrong,” Richey states. “You never know what your future holds for your health. It’s best to have your medical home in place, should anything happen.”
Peterborough Family Health Team (PFHT) isPatients who are now temporarily connected to the Peterborough Virtual Care Clinic and PFHT Clinic are also able to attend the many PFHTs programs, services, and workshops such as Mindfulness, Craving Change, and much more. For more details, visit www.peterboroughfht.com.
– 30 –
- There are approximately 110,000 patients attached to the 93 family doctors in Peterborough City and County. These patients have access to allied health professionals, such as mental health clinicians, nurse practitioners, pharmacists, registered dietitians, registered nurses, and registered practical nurses.
- Since launching the Peterborough Virtual Care Clinic in August 2018 followed by the PFHT Clinic in September 2018, two family doctors have joined the community and 184 residents have been connected.
- Over the years, PFHT has created many programs, services, and workshops to meet the health care needs of patients no matter what situation they are in. Patients attached to our family doctors or the Peterborough Virtual Care Clinic and PFHT Clinic have access to many great programs and services.
- The Heart Health workshop facilitated by PFHT Registered Dietitians is open to the public. Information on upcoming classes can be found at www.peterboroughfht.com.
- When PFHT identifies gaps in the local healthcare system, they will find ways to bridge the gap so patients have a seamless transition in care, from their family doctor to other local supports they require.